What is Curcumin?
Curcumin is a yellow-orange plant pigment. It is mainly present in the tuberized rhizome (root) of various turmeric species and belongs to a class of compounds, found in plants, known as polyphenols, It resembles the chemical structure of aspirin but it’s natural.
Polyphenols have antioxidant effects and also fight off free radicals – these are molecules that your body creates normally but which can cause damage at high levels through oxidative stress.
Turmeric is used in Indian and Asian cuisine to make curry powder, curcumin gives curry its particular color.
It was first isolated from turmeric rhizomes in 1815 by Pelletier and Vogel, who gave it its name, today it’s particularly used in the supplements industry for its well-known beneficial properties.
Properties of Curcumin:
- It has an antioxidant and anti-inflammatory action, and it is often included in supplements used to effectively relieves pain from inflammation such as back pain or osteoarticular pain and is effective in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis;
- It increases bile production and flow and decreases bloating and abdominal pain, improving digestion, it also may improve relaxation of the muscles around the intestines and therefore improving bowel mobility;
- Studies have confirmed the anti-ulcer action and the reduction of dyspeptic disorders;
- Curcumin is also recommended for weight loss as it appears to be able to inhibit adipocyte differentiation, for this use it can be taken with Garcinia or Green Coffe ;
- it may also help decrease levels of homocysteine, which are related to diabetes, stroke, and heart attacks;
- The scientific community is studying its anti-cancer properties. The results are encouraging. Used alone (8 g per day)or in combination with chemotherapy, has, in some cases, stabilized tumor progression;
- It is widely viewed as an effective way to keep your brain healthy. Studies have shown that it may help with the prevention of Alzheimer’s disease and better sleep at night. Many think that it might even be an effective alternative for those who suffer from depression.
Curcumin is a poorly bioavailable molecule, that is, difficult to absorb and usable by our body. For this reason, the supplements that have the best effects have also piperine which greatly increases the bioavailability.
Curcumin is an extraordinary substance used in the treatment of many diseases and promising for others, it is still the subject of numerous scientific studies. By introducing it into our daily life we can certainly achieve numerous health benefits.
We chose this supplement because it is extracted with advanced techniques and also contains piperine. We also liked that it is impartially tested by third-party laboratory.